Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » duration of "alter system switch logfile" ?
duration of "alter system switch logfile" ? [message #55163] Wed, 08 January 2003 08:16 Go to next message
Rainer Fuegenstein
hi,

I'm trying to backup a freshly installed oracle 9iR2 database using the script found at http://www.orafaq.net/scripts/back_rec/backup.txt.

everything works fine, all the tablespaces are copied out within a few minutes (dual pentium III, 1 GHz), but the script gets stuck at the last command "alter system switch logfile;", the script doesn't terminate.

the process list shows no oracle processes consuming a considerable amount of CPU time.

does anybody know how long it usually takes for "alter system switch logfile" to finish or why this command gets stucked ?

tnx in advance.
Re: duration of "alter system switch logfile" ? [message #55164 is a reply to message #55163] Wed, 08 January 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
hi,
can check your alert.log
for a entry like
'checkpoint not completed'
Re: duration of "alter system switch logfile" ? [message #55167 is a reply to message #55163] Wed, 08 January 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R. Stein
unfortunately there is no such entry in the alert log :-(
Re: duration of "alter system switch logfile" ? [message #55278 is a reply to message #55163] Wed, 15 January 2003 10:03 Go to previous message
R. Stein
the system ran out of diskspace once, but I don't think that it happened during the execution of the backup script.

is there any possibility to figure out (via dictionaries etc.) what makes the database stuck ?

cu
Previous Topic: Default Users in 9i ? Urgent
Next Topic: recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:20:06 CDT 2024