Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Migration from NT to UNIX
Migration from NT to UNIX [message #55310] Thu, 16 January 2003 15:22 Go to next message
Latesha Williams
Hi,

I have an Oracle 7.3.4 database on an NT server that needs to be migrated to a Sun Solaris server running Oracle 8i. The UNIX server currently has an instance in service. Using the OFA model, I created the layout
for the second instance. I plan to perform an export/import into a newly created database. How does one approach the initialization parameter file, since most of the parameter values are operating system-dependent? I don't mind the trial and error approach, but if anyone can guide me in the right direction (web links, books, past experiences, etc), it will be appreciated.

(P.S. Can the size of the export file in conjunction with table row totals help to calculate some of the values under UNIX? This is a small database; under 500MB)
Re: Migration from NT to UNIX [message #55318 is a reply to message #55310] Fri, 17 January 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
export import will work fine.
Make sure u ftp the export dump file with BIN option
and most of the REGULARLY USED INIT PARAMETERS are same in both platforms.
u might need to lookinto the parameters that deal with filesystems and path.
background_dump_dest
core_dump_dest
user_dump_dest 
control_files

Re: Migration from NT to UNIX [message #55320 is a reply to message #55310] Fri, 17 January 2003 07:05 Go to previous message
Sanjay
And also look for obsolete init.ora parameters as you are moving from 7.3.4 to 8i (8.1.7 ?).

Keeping in view what Mahesh said, move over the init.ora file and make changes in the PATH and obsolete parameters and anything that deals with the filesystem (as there is an OS change here).

Good luck.
Previous Topic: memory issues when switching to cbo
Next Topic: Re: download free ocp dumps,papers,ocp kits...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:21:46 CDT 2024