Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » how to monitor the table changes (Newbie)
how to monitor the table changes (Newbie) [message #56664] Tue, 15 April 2003 15:22 Go to next message
arun
Hi Guru's

I am trying to monitor a table and it's update history. How to do it?
Can I set the following in initdb.ora file. Where can I monitor the log?

set timing on

set autotrace on
--

and also how to use

ALTER TABLE MONITORING ?

Any pointers will be helpful

Thanks for the help

Arun
Re: how to monitor the table changes (Newbie) [message #56665 is a reply to message #56664] Tue, 15 April 2003 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anand
1.I am not sure what do you mean by "monitoring" ?

Do you want to monitor the access to tables ? If yes, you can enable auditing in the database. But, (simple)auditing would not tell what was the data modified ie. what the old data was and what value was modified. If you want to trace the data too, then you may have to setup FGA (Fine-grained auditing).

2. ALTER TABLE ... MONITORING is a feature by which Oracle gathers statistics about a particular table for optimizer to analyze them for performance based issues. You can also use them yourself for manual analysis.

This is a very exhaustive feature. This may not explained in detail in this forum. Please try to gather info from this site or from otn.oracle.com or related sites about Auditing, FGA et al.

Good luck mate !

A
Re: how to monitor the table changes (Newbie) [message #56689 is a reply to message #56664] Wed, 16 April 2003 15:56 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
Read this message Monitoring and script to find what data was changed

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Oracle 8.1.7 Patches
Next Topic: Urgent! Cannot Change sys pw.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:35:59 CDT 2024