Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » NLS parameters and no difference between small case and capital
NLS parameters and no difference between small case and capital [message #57178] Mon, 26 May 2003 13:32 Go to next message
Albert
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this question.
We use Oracle 8 and 8i. In most tables, character fields use a mix of small letters and capital letters.
Now, when users retreive information, I would like to have a situation where we don't need to pay attention on the case of words, for example, if we try to retreive a name like 'McDonalds', it should be ok if we query on 'MCDONALDS' or 'mcdonalds', and get all existing records.
Is it possible with some NLS setting to achieve this??
Any hint is higly appreciated!
Thanks
Re: NLS parameters and no difference between small case and capital [message #57188 is a reply to message #57178] Tue, 27 May 2003 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I beleive, there is no-direct methods to do this.
But, certain forced methods were tried before, and oracle STRONGLY RECOMENDS NOT TO DO SO, unless you have  very special cicumstances. Alot of things should be considered. 
Reason behind this is, sorting is different for every characterset ( like for ASCII, upper and lower cases are completely different).
so you have Make NLS_SORT in such a way that, it treats
Upper and lower cases SAME in CERTAIN Charsets and
DIFFERENT in OTHER charsets.
We can do this. But the pain will in scaling the application and database. Over a long run, these alterations require MUCH attention.
so, Oracle came up with a simple function UPPER / LOWER to do the case-conversion that works in all (MOST) charsets

Re: NLS parameters and no difference between small case and capital [message #57190 is a reply to message #57188] Tue, 27 May 2003 10:22 Go to previous message
Albert
Thanks for your quick reply. This helps.
Previous Topic: Oracle 9i on Slave Hard Disk
Next Topic: Identify DB Objects related to the table.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:34:26 CDT 2024