Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » how to free up the shared pool memory
how to free up the shared pool memory [message #57368] Tue, 10 June 2003 03:44 Go to next message
rameshkumar
hi all,

my sga is getting filled. when i restart the database, the shared pool memory is getting freed. how to free the shared pool memory without restarting the database
Re: how to free up the shared pool memory [message #57369 is a reply to message #57368] Tue, 10 June 2003 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kishor Bhalwankar
Hi

Alter System Flush SHARED_POOL ;
Re: how to free up the shared pool memory [message #57372 is a reply to message #57369] Tue, 10 June 2003 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rameshkumar
thanks for the reply,

do i have any effect on the current transactions, when i issue the command

alter system flush shared_pool,

will all the transactions be safe.

waiting for u r reply
Re: how to free up the shared pool memory [message #57379 is a reply to message #57372] Tue, 10 June 2003 12:59 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
The shared pool has cached SQL and PL/SQL code. Once the transaction starts, there is no more need for the shared code to be accessed, so flushing the shared pool will not affect your running transactions.

However will affect the transactions after the flush. All the SQL shared code will be gone, and you have to do hard parses to polulate it again, your library cache hit ration will decrease, etc...

Better tune your shared pool, that flushing it. It will happend again, so you will be flushing until you tune it. What good that can make ???

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: ORacle 8i.
Next Topic: Reset sys or internal password
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:34:21 CDT 2024